Boating Accident Attorneys in Lakeland, FL
Injured in a Boating Accident? Call Us Today!
A boating accident can turn a fun day on the water into a day marked by pain and distress. Boating is very popular in Florida, and sadly, the state sees a lot of boating accidents as a result. If you have been injured in a boating accident in Central Florida, Dismuke Law, PLLC can help. Our Lakeland boating accident lawyers are dedicated to helping injury victims recover the compensation they deserve.
Boating Accident Causes and Liability
When boating accidents occur, there are many parties who may be at fault. Operating a boat safely is complicated, and involves the cooperation of everyone who is responsible for manufacturing, repairing, and driving the vehicle.
Some common causes of boating accidents include:
- Operator negligence — Possibly the most common cause of boating accidents, operator negligence involves any action in which a driver is failing to operate their boat safely. This may include speeding, distracted driving, disregard of laws, or general recklessness.
- Operator inexperience — Due to the complex nature of driving a boat, only people with significant experience are able to do so safely. A driver’s lack of boating knowledge and familiarity with a vehicle can contribute to accidents. Although these types of accidents can be the fault of the driver themselves, liability can also fall on the people who allowed an inexperienced boater to drive.
- Boating under the influence (BUI) — Boating under the influence of alcohol or drugs can cause serious accidents. Drivers who boat under the influence may face civil liability and criminal charges. Businesses that provided the driver with alcohol could also be held liable for damages under Florida’s dram shop laws.
- Improper maintenance and repair — A boat that has not been properly maintained can be a cause of accidents. In these cases, operators, mechanics, and owners of the boat could be liable for damages.
- Defective boat parts — A boat may be unable to operate safely because it was designed or manufactured incorrectly. Those responsible for producing the defective boat or boat parts can be held liable.
Florida Boating Laws
Florida law regulates the sale and operation of all watercraft in the state. Although there are minimum age requirements for operators of personal watercraft (such as a jet ski), there is no age requirement for driving a boat in the state. Florida does, however, require boat operators to carry a photo ID and a Boating Safety Education Identification Card from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, which signifies that a driver has completed a boating safety course. Drivers who unsafely operate a boat could face criminal penalties including charges for boating under the influence (BUI) or reckless operation,
The state of Florida also has established laws that govern what actions should be taken in the event of a boating accident. If you are driving a boat and are involved in a boating accident, you are required by law to provide assistance to everyone else involved and must report the accident to the local police, the county sheriff, or the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.
People who own boats are not required to have boating insurance in Florida. You may file a claim with an owner’s insurance provider if they have insurance, but will more likely need to pursue a personal injury lawsuit against the liable parties if you are injured in a boating accident.
Contact Us to Schedule a Free Consultation
The Dismuke Law, PLLC legal team is available to discuss the details of your boating accident case. We can guide you through the legal process and help you recover compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and other damages.
Decades of Experience
Dave has dedicated 15 years and a significant portion of his practice to auto accidents and has well-trained staff in place to help you.
We Treat Clients with Excellent Personal Service, Respect & Dignity
Our core belief is that every detail must be studied, that every adversary must be out prepared and outworked and that every client must be treated like they are family.
Personal Injury is All We Do
Dave is a Florida Bar Board Certified Civil Trial Lawyer and focuses his practice on automobile accidents.
Dave and his staff worked hard for me and always did what was in my best interest.- Rena S.
Dismuke Law is who I will use for the rest of my life. Definitely worth the phone call!- Shawn B.
Dismuke Law is the first place we would call. They did not disappoint!- Daniel R.
Dismuke Law delivered the results I was hoping for.- Jessie S.
I would highly recommend Dismuke Law to anyone in need of a personal injury lawyer.- Courtney A.
$10 Million Judgment - Polk County
Judgment of $10 million for a client due to injuries sustained in an auto accident.
$7.25 Million Jury Verdict - Polk County
Polk County jury awards judgment for wrongful death case.
$1.1 Million Settlement - Hillsborough County
Wrongful death auto accident settlement for $1,100,000.
$800 Thousand Auto Accident Settlement - Hillsborough County
Attorney David C. Dismuke negotiates a settlement in disputed causation surgery.
$754 Thousand Auto Accident Settlement - Hardee County
Attorney David C. Dismuke obtains a verdict in Hardee County.