Traumatic Brain Injury Lawyers in Lakeland
Expert Representation from a Florida Bar Board Certified Civil Trial Law Attorney
When a person suffers a traumatic brain injury (TBI), their whole life can change in an instant. While some TBIs are less severe than others, all brain injuries are very serious and require prompt medical attention. If you or your loved one sustained a TBI in a car accident, motorcycle crash, slip and fall, or any other type of traumatic accident or event, turn to the legal team at Dismuke Law. Our Lakeland traumatic brain injury lawyers can help you work to hold the at-fault person or party accountable for your injuries and the resulting damages. Led by Florida Bar Board Certified Civil Trial Law Attorney David C. Dismuke, our team has recovered millions of dollars on behalf of catastrophically injured victims and their families.
Types of Traumatic Brain Injuries
As previously mentioned, all TBIs are serious and require professional medical attention. That being said, some TBIs are less serious than others.
Some of the most common types of traumatic brain injuries include:
- Concussions: Caused by forceful blow/impact to the head, concussions are generally considered the “mildest” form of traumatic brain injury. Repeated concussions can lead to more serious brain injuries.
- Contusions: Also typically caused by a blow to the head, contusions are essentially bruises, or bleeding, on the brain. Contusions often accompany other TBIs, such as concussions or coup-contrecoup injuries.
- Coup-Contrecoup Injuries: When a blow to the head is so forceful, it causes the brain to slam against the opposing side of the skull, this is known as a coup-contrecoup injury. These TBIs result in two injuries: one at the impact site and one where the brain hits the other side of the skull.
- Diffuse Axonal Injuries: Also known as “shearing” injuries, diffuse axonal injuries involve violent rotational movement, resulting in tears in the long nerve fibers (axons) that connect nerves throughout the brain.
- Penetrating Injuries: A penetrating brain injury is when an outside object pierces the skull, fracturing it, and enters the brain. These are devastating injuries and often lead to severe, permanent brain damage and/or death.
If you believe you or someone else has suffered a brain injury, do not wait to see a doctor—go to the hospital or call an ambulance, if necessary.
Traumatic Brain Injury Symptoms
While open head injuries, such as penetrating brain injuries, are easy to detect, closed head injuries can be more difficult to recognize. It is important that you are aware of the signs of a brain injury so that you can seek medical attention as soon as the first symptoms become apparent.
Common TBI symptoms include:
- Loss of consciousness
- Inability to remember the accident
- Blurred vision
- Fatigue or insomnia
- Ringing in the ears
- Loss of balance
- Memory problems
- Inability to concentrate
- Changes in smell/taste
- Light and sound sensitivity
- Mood changes
If you were involved in a car accident, slipped and fell, or suffered any type of blow to the head and are now experiencing any of the symptoms above, make an appointment to see your doctor as soon as possible. If you have, in fact, suffered a TBI, our firm can help you seek fair compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, and other damages.
Contact Dismuke Law for a Free Consultation
Traumatic brain injuries can lead to exorbitant costs over the course of the victim’s lifetime. Some TBI victims will be unable to return to work, leading to an unexpected loss of income. As medical bills start piling up, this can quickly place victims and their families in a very difficult financial situation. Additionally, traumatic brain injuries can lead to a reduced quality of life, immense pain, and severe emotional distress.
At Dismuke Law, we believe that you shouldn’t have to simply face all these consequences when someone else’s negligent or reckless behavior led to your injuries. Our Lakeland traumatic brain injury attorneys have a proven record of success and a reputation for being fierce advocates for our clients. Here, we truly care about you and your recovery.
Dave and his staff worked hard for me and always did what was in my best interest.- Rena S.
Dismuke Law is who I will use for the rest of my life. Definitely worth the phone call!- Shawn B.
Dismuke Law is the first place we would call. They did not disappoint!- Daniel R.
Dismuke Law delivered the results I was hoping for.- Jessie S.
I would highly recommend Dismuke Law to anyone in need of a personal injury lawyer.- Courtney A.
$10 Million Judgment - Polk County
Judgment of $10 million for a client due to injuries sustained in an auto accident.
$7.25 Million Jury Verdict - Polk County
Polk County jury awards judgment for wrongful death case.
$1.1 Million Settlement - Hillsborough County
Wrongful death auto accident settlement for $1,100,000.
$800 Thousand Auto Accident Settlement - Hillsborough County
Attorney David C. Dismuke negotiates a settlement in disputed causation surgery.
$754 Thousand Auto Accident Settlement - Hardee County
Attorney David C. Dismuke obtains a verdict in Hardee County.